These are a really nice sweet treat. Either as an after diner snack or as pick-me-up over an afternoon coffee.
- 1 cup (75g) dried unsweetened apple rings
- 1 cup(140g) packed pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup (75g) raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons (30g) raw almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small gala apple, chopped (100g)
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut palm sugar (optional for rolling the balls in with the oats!)
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats (40g)
- Soak dates in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes to soften, then drain.
- Add dates, apple rings, almonds, almond butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, protein powder, and chopped apple to food processor and process for 3 to 5 minutes. You should have a sticky but mostly smooth batter.
- On a large plate spread out the oats and coconut palm sugar.
- Scoop the batter out into a bowl and using a tablespoon measure, scoop a portion and roll into a ball using the palms of your hands. It sometimes helps to have wet hands if the batter is extra sticky.
- Once you have made a little ball, roll it into the oats / sugar mix to coat, and place on baking paper
You should get 18 balls from this mix. They will keep for a week. Store in a cool place – a refrigerator or freezer is preferred.
Recipe adapted from Nutrition in the Kitch