Boat life means making use of cooking ingredients that are easy to store. In cooler temperatures this stew/ soup is like a warm hug after a day on the water.
You can easily use half a cabbage and a sweet potato as well.
- Prep Time – 10 minutes
- Cook Time – 30 minutes
- Total Time – 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 2 stalk celery
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 can cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup peas
- 3/4 cup barley
- 6 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- salt + pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cut the onion, carrots and celery in a small dice and toss into the pot with the minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 8 minutes or until veggies have softened.
- Add in the thyme, curry powder, a little salt and pepper, cannellini beans, peas and barley. Stir together, then pour in the broth. Cook for 20 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper.